I created this blog to connect with others who have a similar infatuation with everything spicy.
Below you will find recipes, tips on growing chilis, and whatever else I feel like writing about.


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Freezing Herbs (Cilantro)

I try to buy fresh herbs whenever possible, but even the smallest bunch will go bad before I can use it all. I did some research and experimented a little and this is what I came up with.




Cilantro Cubes!
So easy to make and will save you money as well as cut down on waste. I made mine with cilantro, but likely this would work with any fresh herbs. When they thaw they will be soggy, and wont look too nice. So the cubes can be used for salsas, sauces, soups, and stews, but not for a garnish.

 First, wash the bunch of herbs thoroughly.

 Chop up the herbs in small pieces and stuff into an ice cube tray (either half way or full depending on how much of the herb you usually use at a time).
 Cover the chopped herbs with a drop of olive oil and then water, using just enough for the herbs to be covered.
Freeze until frozen and then transfer to a ziplock bag!

1 comment:

  1. I love the flavor of fresh (not dried) herbs but, as you said, always end up throwing allot of it away. The cubes are an elegant solution to that problem. Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete