I created this blog to connect with others who have a similar infatuation with everything spicy.
Below you will find recipes, tips on growing chilis, and whatever else I feel like writing about.


Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Attempt at Imitating Chili's Salsa

It was a hot summer day and the boyfriend and I were heading home from out of town. I spot a Chili’s from the highway and start shrieking incoherently in my excitement. Boyfriend who is driving swerves, probably thinking we were about to die. We had been wanting to go to Chili’s for a while, but didn’t think any had opened in Canada yet. Anyways, we go and we order the bottomless tostada chips and salsa to start. One bite and I was hooked! Little did I know this would be the start of a spicy food/salsa addiction that would quickly spiral out of control.
We got home that night and immediately started to Google recipes for this unbelievable salsa, only to find that almost all sites had the exact same recipe. I spent the entire next day making salsa, batch after batch trying to get it just right.


While I was never able to recreate that orgasmic Chili’s experience, I ended up with something delicious enough to satisfy my cravings until the next time we can make the 2 hour drive to get the real thing.
What you will need:  (I never measure anything so these are estimates to be adjusted with your personal taste)
  • 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup spanish onion
  • 1 whole jalapeno
  • 1-2 finger hot peppers (i sometimes use super hybrid chilis from my garden instead)
  • 7 drops of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tbsp garlic salt
  • Sometimes I also add: Cayenne pepper, Salt & Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, it all depends on my mood.
Throw everything in your blender and mix to your desired consistency. I use my Magic Bullet so I can only do it half at a time.
Also, I like my salsa pretty hot - If you’d like to make a milder version you can leave out the finger hot peppers, or take the seeds out of the jalapeno.
For a little different flavour:
Put the onion, peppers, a clove of garlic and a tomato (or handful of cherry tomatoes) on a baking sheet. Lightly spray with pam and broil in the oven until the onion is just turning brown. Blend with spices and 1/2 can of tomatoes. This just gives it a delicious smokey flavour.

Enjoy!
…And if anyone can get me a real recipe for Chili’s salsa it would make my life!

2 comments:

  1. This salsa made a mouth-watering late night snack...Thanks...PS, you're hot! :)

    ReplyDelete